If we were to play a word association game and said “restaurant,” you probably would immediately think “food.” After all, who doesn’t love going out for their favorite dinner, or trying out the new place in town? Great meal, nice atmosphere, and you don’t even have to do the dishes (unless you forget your wallet).
Did you know, though, that there is a lot more interacting with your senses in a restaurant than just the sights and smells of delicious food? Believe it or not, choosing your interior paint strategically can go beyond simply building the right atmosphere, and can actually generate specific moods, emotions, and appetite levels in your guests.
It’s a fascinating idea that ties right into the concept of color psychology: the fact that certain colors can make us feel a certain way.
How Interior Paint Colors Impact Atmosphere And Appetite
- Red – This is an interesting one. Certain shades and amounts of red have been proven to stimulate appetites, but, like a big dessert, too much of a good thing is very possible. Overpowering amounts of red can raise heart rates and create tension. So, what do you do? Try a red accent wall, or including it in your decorations in a limited way.
- Green – Kermit might say that it’s not easy to be green, but including green is an easy way to promote a calming atmosphere. Soft colors that speak to freshness and nature are very popular this year too, so a well-chosen member of the green family could be a smart move. This is an especially good choice if your menu is centered around natural, fresh, and healthy options.
- Yellow – Unfortunately, yellow has been shown to increase irritability. Incorporating a soft, buttery, country yellow isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but too much (similar to red) elicits an uneasy feeling.
- Blue – Blue can actually decrease the appetite as well. Keep it to a minimum, unless it supports a very specific theme.
- White – Pure white is not only clinical and overly sterile, but it also is unforgiving in that it shows every mark and smudge. Try to incorporate colors that will promote the overall goals that you have for your restaurant.
The important thing to remember is that all of the above is intended to be food for thought (no pun intended). There are exceptions and ways to make whatever color scheme you might have in mind work beautifully. That’s the fun of color; the options and possibilities are nearly limitless, and its power should never be underestimated!
Do You Need A Professional Painter?
If so, the team here at ALLBRiGHT 1-800-PAINTING would love to help. We proudly offer a wide variety of residential and commercial painting services to an equally wide variety of clients throughout the greater Los Angeles area. From expert color selection to top-quality application, painting happiness is who were are and what we love to do!