Why We Use Zero VOC Paints (And You Should Too)
People have been using volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in paint for years, but there is a growing awareness of the health risks they pose that has begun to change that. Volatile organic compounds are chemicals that evaporate quickly and can cause harmful health effects.
Fortunately, Zero VOC paints are now available that don't release these harmful chemicals into the air. At ALLBRiGHT PAINTING, we frequently use Zero VOC paints to protect our customers' health and safety. Here's why.
What Are VOCs?
Volatile organic compounds are chemicals that evaporate quickly at room temperature. They are found in many household products, including paint, cleaning products, and air fresheners.
When these products are used, the VOCs are released into the air, where they can be inhaled. This can cause various health problems, from headaches and nausea to more severe issues like liver damage and cancer.
Many people are unaware of the risks posed by VOCs because they are not required to be listed on product labels. However, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has designated some VOCs as hazardous air pollutants.
Why Are VOCs Used in Paint?
VOCs help the paint dry quickly and keep it in a liquid form. However, these same properties that make VOCs useful in paint are what makes them harmful to human health.
The EPA has established regulations limiting the amount of VOCs that can be used in paint, but it can still be harmful, especially in indoor settings.
Dangers of VOC Paints
There are a few reasons why VOCs in paint can be harmful:
- VOCs can cause respiratory problems.
- VOCs can sometimes cause cancer in animals and humans.
- VOCs can harm the environment.
Let's take a closer look at each of these dangers.
- Respiratory problems: VOCs can irritate the respiratory system and cause problems like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. They can also aggravate conditions like asthma and bronchitis.
- Cancer: Some VOCs have been linked to cancer in animals and humans. The International Agency for Research on Cancer and the EPA have classified one VOC, benzene, as a known human carcinogen.
- Environment: VOCs can damage the ozone layer and contribute to smog formation.
Zero VOC Paints
Zero VOC paints don't contain any volatile organic compounds, making them a more health-conscious choice for your projects. . There are a few benefits of using Zero VOC paints:
- Health: Since Zero VOC paints don't release harmful chemicals into the air, they're a much healthier option for both people and the environment.
- Safety: Zero VOC paints are also much safer to use since they don't pose the same health risks as traditional paints.
- Durability: Zero VOC paints are just as durable as traditional paints, so you don't have to worry about them wearing down over time.
Aside from homes, paints with VOCs are a significant concern for businesses. When applying a fresh coat of paint, you may be wondering how that odor impacts your customers and employees. The strong smell of VOCs can actually cause headaches, dizziness, and nausea after the paint has dried, impacting your customers’ experience and the lives of your employees. In fact, the EPA has set standards for the amount of VOCs that can be released into the air for both residential and commercial spaces.
The good news is that a variety of low-VOC and Zero VOC paints are available that meet these EPA standards. We use these products so business owners can return to normal as soon as possible after beautifying their spaces.
Painting Happiness in Your Home or Business
At ALLBRiGHT PAINTING, we believe everyone deserves to breathe clean air, which is why we offer Zero VOC paints for various projects. If you're looking for a safe and healthy way to paint your home or business, we can help. Give us a call today at (661) 464-0771 to learn more about our Zero VOC painting services.